Obasanjo was interviewed by International Business
Times UK and he spoke on Boko Haram and the
abducted Chibok girls.
Former President, Olusegun Obasanjo, on Sunday March
15, attended the Global Education and Skills Forum in
Obasanjo was interviewed during the event by
International Business Times UK and he spoke on Boko
Haram and the abducted Chibok girls.
Here are five important things he said during the
1. Boko Haram has become a regional issue and we
have to deal with it regionally.
2. Boko Haram has legitimate grievances
3. The response of the government initially was
definitely not enough. When Boko Haram started
showing their fangs about four years ago the
reaction should have been firm and unmistakable.
We have lost ground.
4. If Boko Haram is ready to talk, [we should talk]. But
by the time they are ready to talk they will need to
be pounded a little bit militarily: at that stage they
will be ready to talk
5. The government did not believe that there had been
an abduction for some time. If that had happened
maybe the girls [Chibok girls] would have been