The fire was caused by a candlestick lit by the
mother of the child, who claimed to be taking
fresh air outside, when the incident happened in
Ipaja area of Lagos.
NAN reports that four men and a six-month old
baby were burnt to death in a separate incident
that occurred in Lagos State.
The fire incident on Friday and Saturday – April
17 and 18 respectively.
The Director, Lagos State Fire Service, Rasak
Fadipe, told NAN on Sunday, April 19, that four
of the victims were roasted to death in an
accident that occurred at the Coastain area of
the state, involving a commercial bus.
The bus, which was carrying nine passengers at
the time of the accident, was coming from Lagos
Island at a top speed and as he descended to
Coastain the driver suddenly lost control and hit
Fadipe added that the impact made the bus to
“The bus burst into flames, burning to death four
men beyond recognition. Five others that
sustained serious burnt were rescued and taken
to the General Hospital, Marina, by the Lagos
Emergency Ambulance Services.
“The police from Iponri Division removed the
dead bodies to the same hospital. The incident
happened on Saturday at about 12.12 p.m., ’’ he
The director also said a six-month old baby boy
was burnt to death at about 9.30 p.m. on
Saturday at CA Street, House 52, Shagari Estate,
Mosan Okunola, Ipaja .
Fadipe said the fire was caused by a candlestick
lit by the mother of the child, who claimed to be
taking fresh air outside, when the incident
He, however, advised members of the public
against the use of the candle, stressing that
many lives have been lost to it use.
Fadipe also called on parents to always keep an
eye on their children while sleeping, advising
them against locking up children at home and
leaving for a far distance.